Guide to 7 Types of Exercise - You can do Anywhere
The fitness world has seen many trends emerging and gaining popularity. To know which exercise is best to meet your personal fitness goals, it’s important to understand it’s health benefits and what you will gain from it. Here is our guide to 7 types of exercises you can do anywhere.
1) Flexibility & Balance
Flexibility training warms up your muscles and helps to improve your overall posture, breathing, balance and blood circulation. Adding a flexibility workout or incorporating these exercises before more intense workouts will serve to decrease your chances of injury.
Typical flexibility and balance exercises incude:
- Thai Chi
- Stretching (Dynamic, Static, Ballistic, Isometric, PNF)
2) Endurance & Aerobic
Aerobic (Cardio) exercise strengthens your cardiovascular system by stimulating your heart rate and breathing rate to increase. It can be any activity that you can sustain for more than just a few minutes while your heart, lungs, and muscles work overtime. The longer you sustain the exercise and the greater your intensity, the more you will improve your endurance.
Typical endurance and aerobic exercises include:
- Fast walking
- Stair steppers
3) Martial Arts – Boxing / Kick Boxing / Muay Thai / Karate
Martial arts are a great way to burn calories at a high tempo and in any environment. Reduce body fat with burning exercises that improve strength, speed, agility, hand-eye coordination and endurance.
Typical Martial Art techniques include:
- Elbow Strike Spinning / Downward / forward
- Punches Jab / Huck / uppercut
- Knees high / power / fast
- Kicks push / high / back kick
Circuit is to perform a set amount of reps and keep your heart rate elevated by running, jumping or side stepping in-between exercises. No rest until the full circuit of exercises is complete.
Typical Workout Time:
- 20 – 40 mins
Typical Circuit Routine:
- 30 reps, run 60 Seconds, 30 reps, hop 60 Seconds, 30 reps, side step 60 seconds, 30 reps, rest 60 Seconds
Typical Circuit Exercises:
- Skipping, Burpees, Squat Jumps, Squat Thrusts, High Knees, Sit-ups, Jumping Jacks, Bench Dips, Lunges.
5) Body Weight Exercise
Bodyweight exercises use your own body weight and its resistance against gravity. It is a simple and effective way to improve strength, power, flexibility and co-ordination while also burning calories.
Typical Body Weight Exercises:
- Push ups, tricep dips, jumps,
- plank, rows, bridges, get ups,
- shoulder press, side plank, squats,
- lunges, pull ups, pike push up
HITT is a great way to burn the maximum amount of calories in the minimum amount of time. You give 100 percent effort for a set amount of reps followed by a short rest period. The best part is you will continue to burn calories throughout the day as you recover.
Typical Workout Time:
- 10 – 15 mins (Max 30)
Typical HIIT Routine:
- 20 intense reps, rest 15 seconds, 20 intense reps, rest 15 seconds, 20 intense reps, rest 60 seconds
Typical HIIT Exercises:
- Novice: Squats, Lunges, Jumping jacks, knee highs, crunches, mountain climbers, warrior, push-up
- Pro: Jump Squats, Jumping Lunges, burpees, Jacknife Get Ups, lizard hops, walk down push ups
7) Go Superset
Step up your workout by throwing in super sets for added intensity. Simply complete the reps of two exercises back-to-back before a period of rest.
Typical Superset Routine:
- 30 Reps, Jog 60 seconds, 30 Reps, 30 Reps, Rest 30 seconds, 30 reps, Side step 30 Seconds, 20 Reps, 20 Reps, Rest 60 seconds
For 136 exercises you can do anywhere, download our FREE Travel Fitness Guide!